history

Coro Pittsburgh was founded in 1999 to develop leaders who have a passion to revitalize communities. We are one of five independent Coro centers in the United States. The first center was founded in 1942 in San Francisco. Others opened in Los Angeles, St. Louis, New York and Pittsburgh, respectively. Coro centers form partnerships with philanthropic foundations, high schools, college campuses, governments, businesses, and civic networking associations in order to recruit all kinds of leaders who are passionate about revitalizing communities and ready to take on new leadership roles.

 

Coro brings these leaders together into cohorts who learn to accomplish shared goals in a collaborative way and to sustain the leadership community after the Coro program.

 

Nearly 2000 individuals have participated in a Coro Pittsburgh leadership program, including 35% affiliated with nonprofits, 25% from business, 15% from government, 15 % in education, and 10% in philanthropy.  Since 2006 Coro Pittsburgh has been the operating partner of Public Allies Pittsburgh, an AmeriCorps program that annually trains 800 nonprofit leaders nationwide through a 10-month full time nonprofit apprenticeship. Through our partnership with Public Allies, Coro provides $350,000 of Federal investment into nonprofits in Western Pennsylvania.

Share This