Supporting local nonprofits while forging career pathways
Our partnership with Public Allies National began in 2006 with a simple goal – help underrepresented leaders serve their communities and access pathways to success. Since then, over 400 diverse local professionals have successfully graduated from our signature Americorps program.
This year, we are excited to welcome twenty-one new leaders into our changemaker movement.
We will formally introduce this bright collective further below. First, we’d like to share a little bit more about the scope and projected impact of their upcoming work.
Over their ten months, our 2020-21 Public Allies will:
- Explore the nonprofit sector while adding daily in-person and virtual support to their assigned community-based organizations.
- Use an asset-based framework to collaborate with residents on service projects in McKees Rocks and Garfield.
- Interview and build relationships with local executives, activists, advocates, educators, and more.
- Strengthen their self-awareness, inquiry, and critical thinking through weekly trainings
- Combine all the above to contribute meaningfully to the recovery and resilience of our region during COVID-19.
Projected Direct Impact:
- 37,000 Combined Hours Of Service To Our Region:
- 30 Local Organizations Served
- $136,000 Distributed in Ed Segal Education Awards
Social Issues Addressed
- Affordable Legal Representation
- Academic Enrichment & Support
- Environmental Education
- Youth, Teen, and Family Mentorship
- Food Access & Healthy Futures
- Out-Of-School-Time Care
- Diverse & Inclusive Workforce
- Safe Spaces For Women & Children
- Economic & Community Development
- Generational Poverty
- Nonprofit Management & Policy
- Equitable Representation in Politics
Public Allies Pittsburgh Leadership Team:
The Public Allies Pittsburgh experience is guided by four phenomenal members of our staff. They are:
Michael Sider-Rose (Senior Director of Programs & Training) – weekly training & facilitation
Britnai Nunley (Manager of Participant Performance) – one-on-one professional coaching support & placement liaison
Naomi Tannenbaum (Site Director) – overall site guidance and vision
Summer Hunter-Kysor (Program Associate) – program logistics & data analysis
Meet the 2020-21 Public Allies
Without further ado, we are proud to introduce our 21 program participants and their nonprofit placements:
First Year Public Allies
Julia Abbott, Neighborhood Legal Services
Samira Bari, Boys & Girls Club of Western Pennsylvania
Nyjah Cephas, Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy
Adrie Fells, Carlow University Social Justice Institutes
Kayla Gomez, Best of the Batch Foundation
Kathryn Ishiyama, Bible Center Church – The Oasis Project
Minnie Jones, Vibrant Pittsburgh
Julia Kemner, Neighborhood Legal Services
Malachiah Koelher, a local shelter
Ross Manganaro, Fair Housing Partnership of Greater Pittsburgh
Erika Nofzinger, a local shelter
Talia O’Brien, Amani Christian CDC
Caitlin Steve, Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy
Victoria Stipcak, Just Harvest
Annalise Tolley, When She Thrives
Rachel Wallace, Bible Center Church – The Oasis Project
India Washington, Ruth’s Way, Inc.
2nd Year Public Allies
Charis Alton, Homewood Children’s Village
Jessica Friss, Chatham University – PA Center for Women & Politics
Jeremy Goldstein, Coro Center for Civic Leadership
Fernando Soriano, Penn Hills Charter School For Entrepreneurship
Brianna Stalder, The Forbes Funds
Partner With Us:
Could your organization use some additional help in 2021?
We can match you with a Public Ally as soon as November 2020 for a January start.
Simply, click here to tell us more about your organization’s specific needs and we will be in touch!
Apply For Public Allies Pittsburgh’s Winter Cohort:
Candidate applications for those interested in serving January 2021-October 2021 are LIVE. The deadline to apply is November 6th, 2020.
A college degree or previous nonprofit experience is NOT required. We strongly encourage those that identify as non-degreed or underqualified to apply.
Interested candidates must meet the following criteria by 12/2020:
- 17 or older
- US Citizenship or Permanent Residency
- GED or Higher
Click here to begin an application.
Please contact our recruiter, Christian Moore at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Nominate Someone For Public Allies Pittsburgh:
Know someone that would make a great Public Ally? Click here to nominate them.